Thursday, October 4, 2007

Let's get the introductions out of the way....

OK I guess I'd better get the introductions out of the way first so that everyone knows a little about who I am and what I'm trying to achieve with this blog.

My name is Richard Clark, I'm 28 and live in South Wales (unfortunately that's the UK version not the Australian one...). I'm a fan of cinema in general but my main love is for the films that graced the screens during the late 60s/ early 70s and especially those that most people would term "cult" or "exploitation". For the last 4 - 5 years I've been steadily building up my DVD collection with everything from art-house cinema to Italian horror and everything else in between. However not content with spending thousands of pounds on DVD I've now also been seduced by the world of UK Pre Cert VHS and even more bizarrely Mexican Lobby Cards. Why? Well read on and find out....

I had originally hoped to start buying US One sheet posters and Italian Locandina but being the cheapskate that I am I wasn't prepared to fork out the large amounts of cash that some of the better quality items were going for. So instead I turned to what I thought was the cheaper option of buying the humble Mexican Lobby Card. Whilst it's true they are significantly cheaper than most posters (if you are lucky you can pick them up for £2-3 before postage) but the problem was I got hooked and now I own over 100 of the buggers therefore spending loads of cash to boot! That said most of these cards are well worth the few quid I've spent on them and it's mainly due to the certain style and sleaziness on display that you don't normally find on US or UK Lobby Cards (nudity and gore feature heavily on some of them).

So with constant packages arriving from the US and Mexico I thought I'd try and hunt around to see if I could find fellow collector's of these little bundles of joy. To my surprise I couldn't find a decent dedicated site to them (there are some out there but none focus on the Lobby Cards for "cult" cinema) and I was only able to find one or two other collectors. I tried to contact other buyers on eBay but to no avail so after bombarding the Love, Lock and Load forum (heads up to the gang for putting up with my constant postings :D ) it was suggested to me to start a blog.

Now you've probably already gathered by my inane ramblings that I have zero experience of blogs (or any sort of Internet sites of my own) and so forgive me in advance if this all goes tits up. I don't have a great deal of time to use the site regularly so I'm not sure how it's going to turn out but I thought I'd give it a bash in the vain hope that some collector's out there latch on to it. I'm not really sure how I'm going to play this and postings my be a little ad hoc but we'll just have to play it by ear. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of my cards on here for people to see and discuss and it may over time prove a useful reference tool. Or it may fall flat on it's ass....
The largest part of my collection at the moment is from the Italian Giallo genre and I think I'll kick things off with those when I get the chance. Then I'll extent to Italian Crime/Action, Spaghetti Westerns, Horror, Exploitation/Erotica and other genres like Blaxploitation.

If anyone gets to read this then please leave some feedback so I don't too lonely out here....

1 comment:

OriginalLobbyCards.com said...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing your lobby card finds. You mentioned that you've had a hard time finding sites devoted to Mexican Lobby Cards, so I just wanted to let you know of a new site that has a huge database of Mexican Lobby Cards.